DEVELOPMENT AND PLANNING > CONSERVATION > HAVERHILL TRAILS
Clement Farm Trail
One of the first settlers to Haverhill was Robert Clement, Sr., who came with his family from England in 1642. His son, Robert Jr., was one of the colonists who signed the original Deed of Haverhill from the residing Native Americans. Lt. John Clement, a grandson of Robert Clement, Jr., was given a grant of land in Haverhill's North Parish on January 29, 1721. This land is the site of the present Clement Farm.
The original home built in 1721 was a wood-frame colonial with a typical long slanted rear roof. A number of generations of Clements lived in this house until Jesse Clement, the great-great grandson of Lt. John Clement, made the bricks and built the present Clement Farmhouse in 1813. He also planted, in 1822, many of the stately maple trees that still remain around the farm. Many more generations of Clements remained on the farm until March 6, 1930. On that date, an agreement was reached whereby the farm was deeded to the American Legion, Wilbur M. Comeau Post, for them to use and maintain until 1980, at which time the City of Haverhill would accept the deed to the property.
Currently, the building and grounds are still used and
maintained by the American Legion, while the ballfields and hiking tails
are improved and maintained by the D.P.W., the Recreation Department and
the volunteers of the Haverhill Trails Committee. When visiting the area,
notice the sturdy stone and mortar walls along the front of the Farm built
as a W.P.A. project in 1938. You might also want to visit the North Parish
Burial Ground across the street where you will find many of the Clement
Family have been laid to rest.
Conservation Area Regulations:
It is forbidden in the Conservation Area:
Violations are punishable by a fine of up to $300.00 plus the replacement or repair costs of damages.
Home | Mayor's Office | Departments | Resources | Site Map | Feedback
Office of the Mayor
City of Haverhill, Massachusetts
City Hall, Room 100, 4 Summer Street, Haverhill, MA 01830
Developed by enilsson.