HEALTH & INSPECTION SERVICES
Steps To Obtain A Foundation Permit For New Construction
Inspectors are in the office from 8-9 a.m. and from 3-4 p.m.
NO PERMITS ARE TYPED AFTER 3:30 P.M. (revised 3/21/02)
Gather Preliminary Information (responsibility
of the applicant):
- Go to assessors to receive map block and lot information required
for site plan (see site plan step below) Room 115 MAP _____ Block _______
- If needed, obtain 2 plot plans from City Engineer's office showing
the address, dimensions and location of proposed foundation. This information
must be included in the site plan (see site plan step below) Room 214
Pay Fees (responsibility of the applicant):
- TREASURERS OFFICE REVIEW: Treasurers office will check for any monies
due to the City on the parcel of land specified by the Assessors. NO
PERMITS CAN BE ISSUED IF BACK TAXES OR FEES ARE DUE. Room 114 (Date
and initials must be provided). NO FEES OR TAXES ARE DUE
- INFRASTRUCTURE FEE: If connection to city sewer is made an infrastructure
fee must be paid. Pay this in the Water Dept. Room 300 and file receipt
with building inspector.
Obtain Related Permits (responsibility of the
- SEWER ENTRY PERMITS (IF APPLICABLE) When City sewer is to be used,
a licensed Drain layer must obtain a sewer entrance permit from the
City Engineer's office. Room 214
- SMOKE DETECTOR PERMIT/SPRINKLER PERMIT Permits must be obtained from
the Fire Dept. If residential fire sprinklers are required, an application
and set of plans must be submitted to the Fire Dept. for approval prior
to issuance of foundation permit. Room 115, City Hall.
- WATER DEPARTMENT PERMITS Obtain paperwork from the
Water Dept. Room 300. Have your licensed plumber or Professional Engineer
fill it out and return it to the Water Dept. at 125 Amesbury Rd. to
obtain a letter that states city water is available.
- SEPTIC SYSTEM PERMITS (IF APPLICABLE)If septic system is being used,
obtain a disposal works permit from the Health dept. A lot plan stamped
by Conservation must be submitted along with the application. Room 208
- WELL PERMITS (IF APPLICABLE) Applications for well permits must be
obtained from the Health Dept. A copy of the well permit, well completion
report, and water analysis must be submitted. Water Analysis must be
signed and approved by a Health Inspector. Health Dept. Room 208
- DISCHARGE PERMITS - all industrial, commercial and retail sewer users
are required to obtain a sewer discharge permit prior to being allowed
to tie into the City’s sewerage system. For additional information,
contact Jim Michitson, Pretreatment Coordinator at 978-374-2382, a
copy of the application form can be picked up at the Wastewater Treatment
Plant, 40 South Porter Street.
Provide permits and evidence of all steps above DIRECTLY
to the building inspector.